02 September 2008

Doughnuts?!

Today we went grocery shopping, at the store that must not be named, with the kiddos. After we had completed most of our shopping and headed for checkout Caleb spotted a box of m&m encrusted brownies. Holding the box to his chest like a long lost love he asked if we could get them, I told him (and I took a serious chance here) we could only get them if he wanted to put back the raspberries he had chosen earlier he looked longingly at the brownies for a moment and then put them back!!! Hurray! Then he grabbed a bag of something and asked if we could get the doughnuts and yes, I did feel significant pangs of guilt as I looked at the bag of mini-bagels and told him we could get them. The whole time Joya Claire was singing “doughnuts, doughnuts, doughnuts”. He was so excited about the “doughnuts” that I began to worry about the realization of the truth in the not so distant future. Caleb has never had doughnuts, but apparently he knows they are supposed to be sweet and obviously the mini-bagels were not going to be sweet. Well we got home, made dinner, ate in relative peace and then the dreaded question from Caleb “May I have a doughnut now?” and Joya Claire “I want doughnut”. What could I do? So we got out the bag of mini-bagels and both of the kids chose one out and began happily eating. Never a word of complaint just quiet contented eating! After he finished one, Caleb asked for another “doughnut” and even wanted a third, but I told him we would need to save some for later! I am so lucky and I only wonder how much longer I will be able get away such things.