01 August 2008

Of Fairs and Pants

Last night Cody and I took the kids to the Thurston County Fair. It is the quintessential country fair. Perfect for the kids and we all had a lot of fun even though it was raining the whole time. The kids absolutely loved the animals. They pet goats, sheep, pigs and cows. There were baby dwarf goats that were the size of rabbits! After lots of time with the animals we headed off to the rides. Cody and Caleb got wristbands so they could go on unlimited rides and Cody was able to take Joya Claire on several rides without any tickets for her. She loved the merry-go-round and was terrified of the ferris wheel she was crying tears and clinging to Cody by the time it was done. Caleb was so brave, he went on every kid ride all by himself and went on several big, scary, adult rides with Cody and was thrilled with all of them! Since I don't ever go on anything faster than the ferris wheel I was in complete awe of my fearless little son.

Caleb wanted to play the game where you try to throw balls into tiny fish bowls filled with colored water to win a goldfish. He paid his two dollars, got ten colored ping-pong balls and started throwing. After throwing seven of the balls and missing it seemed pretty hopeless, but the sweet lady running the game was already bagging up a fish for him and then the eighth ball he threw landed in a bowl of water. He was so excited he almost forgot to throw his last two balls. Even though he only got one ball into a bowl the lady gave him two fish. He was so delighted with the goldfish and eager to get home to "take care of them" we could hardly talk him into a couple more rides before we left.

On the ride home in the car I asked Caleb if he got two balls in the fish bowls and he asked "Did I" in a surprised tone. Cody chuckled and told him that he got one ball in, but the lady gave him two goldfish because he is so handsome and Caleb laughed and said in a disbelieving voice "because I had pants on"? Cody and I laughed so hard at how Caleb had misheard the word handsome, then I explained to him what Cody had actually said and we all had a good laugh.