19 August 2008

Little Steps Forward

Just as I was beginning to feel frustrated that my beautiful little daughter thought her name was "baby" I heard her playing in her bedroom softly saying, in her sweet little baby voice, "me Joya Care, me Joya Care". I was so excited and relieved that she had finally realized her given name was Joya Claire that I ran in, caught her up in my arms and gave her hugs and kisses and lots of praise for knowing her name. She was delighted, of course, and continued to say her name in a happy, little, sing-song voice.

And in case learning her name wasn't enough Joya Claire found the potty chair in the garage and said "toilet, toilet" and tried to drag it out all by herself. Cody and I figured it we could get it out for her, so we set it up in our bathroom a few days ago and didn't do anything else since I didn't think she was ready to start potty training. Well, this morning Joya Claire came up to me, pulling at her clothes, saying "take it off, take it off", thinking she needed a diaper change I undressed her, but her diaper was dry. When I tried to put her diaper back on she said "no, no, no, potty", then I aked if she wanted to go potty in the little potty chair and she said "YES"! So she toddled over to the potty chair and peed in it! She was so pleased with herself that I think potty-training might be, dare I hope, a breeze. I am tempted not to intervene, except to offer praise, and see if she will potty-train herself.

My beautiful, sweet, little Joya Claire is on her way to independence.