28 August 2008

Hush Little Baby

Joya Claire likes to snuggle up in my lap when she is tired and say "ba bas, banket, song", so I snuggle her up in a blanket to nurse and ask her what song she would like me to sing. Her usual response is "hush baby" and when I start singing the line "mama's gonna buy you..." she will stop nursing and say "no, no, no Nana" because apparently my mother sang the song to her first and so she almost always wants it to be sung "Nana's gonna buy you..." which is admittedly pretty funny. Well yesterday she decided to be a little more creative with her favorite song and when I started singing the line in question she said "no, no, no Suki". For those of you who don't know Suki is my mother's Shi Tsu, that both of my children are in love with. So I had to sing Hush Little Baby in its entirety with the words "Suki's going to buy you..." and if I forgot she would stop nursing and repeat the instructions so then I would correct myself. Once she had me singing to her satisfaction she snuggled in, smiled and laughed all while continuing to nurse! It really was comical.