13 April 2008

Beautiful Butterflies


As I was getting Caleb ready for bed and asking him about his day he started crying and told me that he wanted to be a butterfly. I didn't know where he had gotten the idea from so I asked him some questions. He told me that in his primary class at church some of the girls got to be butterflies but not the boys and he had wanted to be a butterfly. He started getting really upset as he was telling me that one little boy got to be a robin and some of the kids got to be ladybugs but he really wanted to be a butterfly and they only let little girls be butterflies. Oh! The injustice! (Good thing I am in Primary will be able to have a serious talk with the primary pres. about gender roles not prohibiting little boys from being butterflies and please could we be more equitable in role playing assignments). I really wanted Caleb to go to sleep but he was on the verge of hysterics about not getting to be a butterfly. I told him if he would stop crying and go right to sleep I had some beautiful butterfly wings that he could wear in the morning. This I assured him was much better than just pretending to have wings in Primary. It did the trick and he was sound asleep in ten minutes. At 8am he rolled over, opened his eyes and asked "can I wear the butterfly wings now". So I got out the said wings and some tutus and from 8am - 5pm Caleb ran around in pajamas and butterfly wings and Joya Claire spent most the day in and out of various tutus. During dinner Caleb said "this was a great day, mama"! It was a fun day for all.